Friday 3 December 2021

Weird weather

Solaris vines have mostly dropped their leaves now. 


Ghost didn't come home yesterday, so this morning I walked down to Stud Cottage and called her name all the way there and back. When I returned home, she was waiting. She doesn't use the road - she has her own route cross country. She is my constant companion. Like a puppy, she follows me everywhere. She especially likes the vineyard. Lots of good wildlife smells there. 

I am now also feeding Ginger cat daily. She was starving. I cannot let an animal starve. 

Ghost and I walked the land and checked the vineyard. Most of the Solaris leaves are down. But the Pinot Noir and Albarino are still holding on. The trees in the orchard have now dropped their leaves. But the weather has been so strange -- a few cold days then back to warm -- that lots of stuff is still blooming including the roses. The butterfly bushes are growing, the magnolia is budding, the grass needs cutting, and bulbs are already coming up. 

I was outside all morning today, cleaning up in patches of garden. I can't start pruning yet as I am afraid the sap is still flowing. Yet, the light is like twilight all day until the sun sets at 4:20. We only get 7h 46m of light today. Feel like hibernating. Even the polytunnel feels gloomy. And we have a new moon tomorrow so nights are dark, too, and tides are high. Heavy rain is due tonight and tomorrow. Sunday is supposed to be clear. The weekend forecast is for gardening with a 99% chance of wine. ;-)

If I can make it to the 21st, we will have turned the corner on the darkness and will start working our way back into the light. 

Pinot Noir and Albarino holding on

Rose blooming

Hungry blue tits


No comments:

Post a Comment