Wednesday 18 October 2023

Hard cider

 


Today, we decided to make apple cider. I chopped apples while Alex ground and pressed. I worked through two fish boxes full of apples, some of which were nicely ripe and soft to cut, others were hard.

I then prepared the yeast. I was advised that champagne yeast is the thing to use, but I had all-purpose wine yeast and lots of it. I mixed 200 ml of juice with 200 ml of warm water with some yeast nutrient - enough to cover 25 liters of juice which Alex forecast would be our take. As the rule of hand recipe calls for one tsp yeast per gallon of juice, equivalent to 25l = 6.6 gal, I mixed in 7 tsp yeast. Better to go more than less with yeast. 

The Brix measured 10.05%. The room is now a steady 22C. I poured the yeast mixture in after it was bubbling nicely. We'll come back to finish the final fish box of apples tomorrow and we'll add the juice to the rest that is fermenting in the SS tank. 

As today was awful weather, with Storm Babet coming through, it was a great day for an indoor project. I  LOVE having the shed. We faired okay in this, but down south they got a month's worth of rain in 24 hours. Post-Biblical they called it. Heaven help us. At least we'll be able to drown our sorrows. 







No comments:

Post a Comment