Sunday 1 September 2024

Bagging, bagging, bagging

 


I have been trying to bag all of the Rondo grapes on the five vines we planted in 2015. They are already ripening and the wasps have been all over them. But the key is to protect them from the birds. This is hard overhead work. I am also cutting away leaves that are shading the grapes. I have bagged so many and still have so many more to go. Ugh. Back pain, knee pain, debris in my eyes -- I wish there was a better way. 



Yesterday, the Pinot Noir looked like it was turning autumnal shades, but today it just looks like it's all dying. The grapes are far from harvest. It looks like the rest of the crops -- Solaris, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir -- will be failures this year. Bummer. 

Alex and I opened a bottle of our red from last year a couple of nights ago. We expected toxic but it wasn't. It was young and could benefit from several years in the bottle, but it was pleasant. It had nice legs and hints of cassis, citrus and for me, sage. It's a lovely deep red colour, too, quite different from when we bottled it. There is hope. 




No comments:

Post a Comment