Tuesday 8 February 2022

Winter clean-up

 


While I continue the pruning in the orchard (in between weather systems, that is), Alex has been strimming the rewilding areas, collecting the debris, and carrying it away up the hill. We haven't done this and we are hoping it will improve the wildflower mix by suppressing the grasses. Hopefully, the yellow rattle will have taken. I need to spread the poppy seeds. I know they are not native to Ireland, but they are beautiful and I harvested tons of seeds last autumn of many varieties. I'll start scattering them this week and continue weekly until they are gone. 

Today was a miserable day weather-wise, so ghost and I watered the polytunnel plants and pruned the raspberries and that was it. The beds in the polytunnel were not getting watered. Alex figured out the batteries were dead in the timer. All's well now and the timer didn't 'forget' the schedule. I've been harvesting peas and broccoli and lettuce. The strawberries are already producing fruit, so it's all very exciting. 

I am starting the seed trays tomorrow. I have loads of seeds to start this year. I'm trying to be organized. I've created a crop rotation plan for the polytunnel, and a plan for what goes into the tunnel versus the cold frame, greenhouse and outdoor garden. It's a very busy time of year. 












No comments:

Post a Comment