Wednesday 13 April 2022

What a day for a bud burst!

Magical Clew Bay


It's gorgeous out at the moment. We're just getting over Covid, and it's a perfect spring day. I was able to walk to the top of the farm without a problem, so I'd say I'm pretty clear of debilitating symptoms. Ghosty walked all the way up with me without complaining. She loves this weather, too. Her whiteness really stands out up here. The northerly gales we had this year really did a number on the shrubs at the top and most of the gorse died back. I'm glad the vineyard is south facing and protected. 

On the way down, I inspected the vines and noted bud burst on both the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, but not on the Albarino. I was, however, gratified to see that most of the Albarino vines seem to be alive. Why they are so slow to get going I don't know. 

Pinot Noir

Chardonnay

Albarino

6 yo Solaris


6 yo Rondo

4 yo Solaris


The orchard has come alive, too, with the pears and cherries in bloom. The apples, plum and peach are just starting to think about it. But the fruit trees in the polytunnel are cranking. I'll have three peaches this year, and a mango finally germinated! Very weird-looking plant. The avocado is growing well, the second peach and the apple are flourishing, and the lemon and orange trees are flowering like crazy. The kiwis are growing fast as is the grapevine. Can't wait. So promising. 







Maggie

Fogbank in the distance





No comments:

Post a Comment