Saturday 24 September 2022

Viennese wines?



I must admit, I never thought of Vienna as a wine-producing region. Certainly one of luscious pastries and exquisite coffees, but not wines. Nor did I see any vineyards or wineries when I was there, notably in the 1980s, which of course is 40 years ago. Things change in 40 years, don't they? There are about 400 individual vineyards in the city, covering some 700 hectares.

Their production figures are pretty staggering. The annual yield of wine in Vienna averages 20,000 hectolitres. And all of the wine is sold for immediate consumption locally in the popular wine taverns called Heuriger

What a curious model. I wonder how I missed that when I was there. Oh well, it was a business trip, I was very young, and I didn't speak German. 



No comments:

Post a Comment