Monday, 24 August 2026

Work in the vineyard and related today

 

Multimac landing a crowd on Inishoo

While I hung CDs in the vineyard as the grapes were maturing, Alex hung the gates for the new donkey access to their stable. The donkeys kept a close eye on both of us. They are such smart creatures. They don't know what to make of the new berms and fences and gates. But they investigated thoroughly. 

Yesterday we had not just a massive picnic on Inishoo; we went to Kate and Tom's for their usual August open house. It was full on yesterday and today. Great August fun!

I had lots of old CDs from program disks that I prepared and hung. One of the grape growers lost their entire crop this week, which prompted me to take action as Rondo veraison is accelerating with this warm weather. We'd had CDs up before, but one of the big storms decimated the lot. I need more. It looks quite pretty. I also chopped a lot off the Solaris vines, which are growing like wild. The grapes are small though, as there has not been enough rain.  

Alex still has to put up the extra kites. He's still thinking that harvest will be mid-September. I'm thinking it will be sooner. 

The weather issues are really accelerating round the world. Italy is underwater, as is Long Island and parts of NYC. Nevada is burning as are many other states and European countries. We have to be grateful for everything. 

And today, Ukraine staged a parade of robots and drones by land, air and sea to commemorate Ukraine's 35th Anniversary of Independence. Slava Ukraini! 















fun.

The picnic was super. Mussels and clams, sausages, potatoes boiled in seawater, freshly caught mackerel, hamburgers, and lots of salads. 




Life in the west of Ireland requires island adventures. 

Today it was hanging CDs in the vineyard and I started bagging. One of the other vineyard owners lost their entire crop yesterday to birds. We know what that's about. Veraison is well underway in the Rondo and Solaris, and looks like it might actually start up soon in the Pinot Noir. I am praying for that to happen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment