Friday 23 April 2021

Best in the West

 


I always love when Met Eireann, our weather forecaster, ends the forecast with 'Best in the West'.  We used to never hear that phrase. Now it's quite common. We're having a week of sunny warm and calm weather. Warmest in the west -- 20C by day, down to about 5C overnight. Everything has come alive. The fruit orchard is in full bloom except for the apples. The vines are leafing in the vineyard and Alex mowed yesterday. The trees have leafed. It's delightful. 

I took a chance and started planting a few things out -- broccoli, courgettes. bush beans. I have many extra plants so I didn't feel that it threatened my supply. My beetroot has germinated, the radishes are already ready to eat and the spinach has really come on strong in the cold frames. The peas have not come up yet but I expect they'll pop out shortly. The Swiss chard is sown. Having poor germination of lettuce this year. Will try a different variety. 

I fed the roses and ericaceous loving shrubs. Washed the car. Pulled weeds. Watered the greenhouse and the vegetable gardens. The new polytunnel arrives Saturday. I generally enjoyed the day. Looking forward to the week. Have almost forgotten about the coronavirus pandemic. 

Tidy up

Rondo leafing

Crabapple

Cherry

Pear

Apple

Strawberry

Blueberry





No comments:

Post a Comment