Thursday 13 January 2022

Major pruning completed today


Today, in the beautiful morning sunshine, I finished pruning the last row of Solaris grapes while Alex tied up the Pinot Noir. There is still a bit of editing to do, as I often leave a few options when I can't see the answer at the moment. Often, when I return a few days later, it will look quite different to me. So I tend not to rush things. 

It's looking quite good. The Solaris vines are sturdy and the 4yo vines have almost all reached the height of the overhead trellis's. The Chardonnay's are mostly weak though some have done very well. I don't know what the difference is. 

The Pinot Noir are surprisingly strong and I have recently been reading that they are the main choice of English vintners -- only a small percentage of red wine produced there is Rondo. I made the decision not to plant more Rondo based on its first-year performance, but since then the 5 we planted have been outperforming the Solaris. Go figure.

Anyway, it's looking good and we have piles of vines to clear away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment