Tuesday 20 February 2024

Bud break in the polytunnel


Vanessa has started to unfurl her leaves in the polytunnel. It's so exciting. In 2022, bud break took place on 4 March. That's two weeks later than this year. I can't find a reference to bud break in 2023. January was the warmest January on record continuing the trend of warmest months on record. 



The apple tree in the polytunnel has also started leafing. Unfortunately, I can't find a reference to when it leafed last year. I'll have to keep better tabs on this stuff as climate change accelerates. 


It was a beautifully sunny day, so we washed the cars. It was much needed. 


I am busily starting seeds for our vegetable and flower gardens and I am really pleased with the system I have put in place. I start the seeds on warming mats in the greenhouse, then transplant them into small pots and move the seedlings into the plastic greenhouse inside the polytunnel to grow. Then I plant them out into the polytunnel beds or into bigger pots for the outdoor beds, which I harden off in the polytunnel. 






 





No comments:

Post a Comment